Friday, May 28, 2010

A Fantastic Start

Ahhh, success at last! Per AK's advice, I went into the ICTR after 10 this morning with my laptop screen open to my employment confirmation letter. A quick call to FM actually found her and I only waited 10 minutes until she found me. I got my badge, met the Admin Assistant of the OTP (Office of the Prosecutions) and the head of the OTP, got a desk in an intern room and was assigned to work with Senior Appeals Counsel, DW. She's an American and Smith alum (yay Seven Sisters!)! Though she didn't originally want an intern, I think we're both happy with the placement. She's smart, nice and blunt - qualities I really have come to appreciate, especially in fields that are often disorganized.

I've already started working on an Annex (like a bibliography of cited cases) and reading up on some cases she's overseeing at the Appeals Chamber in the Hague now. I'm still waiting on a key to the office, a computer and my account, but I'm pretty sure that all will be set up on or by Monday. Also, today was my first day taking the UN van home - so convenient and safe! Makes me happy. AND - welcome LG! Another American intern has arrived safe and sound to the White House - can't wait to really get to know her. :)

Best part of the day: we booked a safari for this weekend! We'll do Serengeti for 1.5 days and Ngorongoro Crater for 1.5 days. We're not doing Lake Manyara or Tarangire, but I think those should be pretty easy weekend trips to do if I want later. All in all, a good week. Look forward to pictures by Monday!

1 comment:

  1. You're work sounds SO COOL! I'm glad you like your boss too, that always helps :-)

    ReplyDelete