Thursday, July 8, 2010

Zanzibar: Alhamisi!

I was supposed to go to work for a half day but a late night meant I got to work around 10:30. Unfortunately, our flight got pushed back so instead of leaving at 1pm, we had to leave at 4pm. BB, AT, NK, HB and I were all on the flight together. Little did we know that Arusha airport was so tiny that we couldn't even check in until 30 minutes before the flight.

While we waited, we decided to go across the rocked parking lot to a little bar, where the boys started the vacay off with some Konyagi (nasty but popular local gin). HB and I looked on in amusement but declined to partake.

Finally, we returned to the little airport and stood in a long line extending out past the airport's front doors. Once inside, we handed someone an old school printout of our itineraries and were handed flight stubs. We went through mini-security and then waited in a patio-type area outside to board our plane. After a few minutes, we were lead to a plane and told to choose our seats. NK and I sat together behind BB and in front of AT. AT, NK and I attempted to watch XMen on NK's laptop but the volume was far too low. Instead we all wound up chatting about the UN, other interns, how excited we were, how beautiful everything was, etc.

We saw Dar (huge city) and then started flying over the Ocean. The further we went, the more blue it turned. It was unbelievably gorgeous. The excitement kept building as the plane got closer. When we finally were able to exit, the air was warm, a welcome change from Arusha's cold winter. We filled out a quick immigration form (Zanzibar is *officially* part of Tanzania but still acts like it's own country... sorta - look it up) and headed out to get a taxi. For people traveling here, BEWARE. Men will approach you with laminated pieces of paper claiming that the official price is $20USD for a taxi ride into Stone Town. Do NOT listen to them. Tell them you're a resident. Tell them there is no set price. 10,000Tsh is what we paid for 5 people in a van and a car would be even less.

Driving through the town, I was mesmerized. Stone Town is Mje Mkongwe, or Ancient Town, of Zanzibar City. It is heavily populated and influenced by Islam and Mosque-like architecture. I think all the shapes and colors on the buildings and beautiful hijabs on the women were fantastic. While there is a Muslim population in Arusha (approx. 1/3 of the population), they usually hang out around Mosque Street, where I have been to all of twice in my past two months. In Zanzi, they are everywhere.

Once we got to the hotel, we discovered that they were booked so HB and I had to stay in the hotel behind Princess Salame. Score! Place turned out to be nicer and cheaper. We had a fabulous little balcony, king size beds with huge mosquito net set-up over a canopy and a shower complete with mirrors (amazing or awkward? Unclear).

We were all quite hungry so we met up with the other interns who had arrived a few hours earlier at a really expensive restaurant. Too expensive for me so I just had a Stoney Tangawizi (oh, how I will miss thee).

And then we headed to the Night Market. If you don't know, look it up. This was spectacular. I've never seen anything like it. At least 50 guys fill up the plaza off the docks and have tables filled with fresh lobster, clam, shark, barcuda, red snapper, shrimp, etc. If you know how to bargain, you can easily get the different kinds of meat on a stick for 1000Tsh/each. By far, the best thing we ate was the shark and spicy lobster. Also, try the sugar cane juice that they squeeze on the spot. The juice is the same all around (500-1000Tsh, depending on size) so get it anywhere.

After a couple hours trying all the different types of seafood, we asked some locals where we could go to dance. They suggested a place and we all piled into two taxis to head over. Unfortunately, when we arrived we realized we were the only ones at the place. Most of the group decided to stay and drink, but AN, NK and I peaced to a different place per the suggestion of our taxi driver.

Once there, the owner told us that the club wasn't open yet (it was only 10, we had to return at 12) but we were free to go upstairs and join the wedding celebration... so, of course, we decided to crash the wedding. Four different ladies and the Zanzibar-version of Ricky Martin each took turns singing on this music system that was blasting so loudly I legitimately thought I was going to have permanent hearing problems (like I don't already, right MW? Lol). The other group showed up for about 10 minutes but then decided to go back to the hotel to hang out on the roof deck and stare at the ocean. I opted to stay with the boys (AN, NK, BB) and shoot some pool.

NK and I schooled AN and BB. Twice. Then NK got BB to bet some local that he'd beat him in a game. Fortunately for BB, the local guy did not understand nor was interested in betting on a game. Second funniest thing of the night: the local guy kept waving his hand in front of his face, as if he were hiding or something? I had no idea what was going on, but later found it's John Cena's move in WWE? If you mention his name or make that motion, every kid in TZ will know what you're referring to. Bizarre.

After the boys finished off about 8-10 bottles of Konyagi, AN decided it was time to go down to the club. Between going upstairs and coming back down, the price of admission into the club had gone up 500Tsh (less than $0.50). AN was displeased. He tried to get us all in for 2500Tsh (less than $2). No go. He tried to get *me* in for free (I'm a lady after all). No go. How about 5000Tsh? No. After 10-15 minutes of failed bargaining, NK finally paid the 10k and walked us in. I was going to suggest that one of us pay the 2500 to see if it was worth it before all paying and wasting our money, but alas, I was too late.

Oh was I right though. Not a damn person in the place. I was quite tired at that point and sat down on the couch while AN and BB tried to haggle with the bartender over the price of a bottle of Konyagi, claiming it was 2000Tsh cheaper upstairs (it was not). Finally, AN, in his drunken glory came out to the dance floor with a drink in his hand and eyes closed and did the GIN HIPPY dance. It was spectacular. Oh, how I laughed at this 6'4, lanky Indian boy hippy dancing all over the fog filled room. THE funniest moment of the night.

Finally around 2 we went home. I was so happy to climb into my huge bed and fall asleep. I really felt like a queen but I'd much rather take my full size bed at home and be squished to the end, but held so tight, by the one I love. In fact, the entire trip just made me miss him more. No better way to enjoy heaven than with your boo, right?

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment